home news about us the heritage projects partners gallery contact
       
  Lublin, ul. Sienna, lubelskie

Old Jewish cemetery in Lublin was established in 1541. The last burial took place in 1830. During World War II Germans devastated the cemetery. After the war was finished the local authorities of the time have completely neglected this outstanding necropolis. Only in the ’80 of 20th century the Association for Caring for Jewish Culture Remembrances in Lublin cleaned it up and registered it precisely. In 1988-1991 there were several acts of vandalism due to which 40 matzevot were damaged. About sixty were preserved. The terrain is surrounded with a wall from the 17th century. The oldest matzeva is located just near the entrance – it is from 1541 and belongs to the rabbi Jaakow ben Jehuda ha-Lewi Kopelman, a prominent Talmudist. The area is 2.4 ha.

More information:

  Dotacje on-line



Recommended links
  The 'Synagogue' Center in Zamosc  
  "Preserving Jewish Heritage in Poland" vol. II  
  Revitalization of the synagogue in Przysucha  
  Adopt a Jewish cemetery in Poland  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2017  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2016  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2015  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2014  
  'To Bring Memory Back' educational program  
  NEW Brochure about Przysucha synagogue renovation project  
  Chassidic Route  
  NEW Brochure about FODZ  
  'Preserving Jewish Heritage in Poland' album  
  Revitalization of the synagogue complex in Krasnik  
  Anti-Semitism in Poland  


  Cemeteries database
 
 

 
  more options »  


  Galleries
 
 

 
  more »

 


  Newsletter  
  Subscribe  
   
  copy