home news about us the heritage projects partners gallery contact
       
  Aktualności
linia 2010-03-08 LEZAJSK

March 7, 2010 (21th day of the Month of Adar) marked the 224th anniversary of the passing of Tzaddik Elimelech of Lezajsk. Thousands of Jews from all around the world visited the town this day. Participating in the event were the representatives of the Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in Poland, which is taking care of the Jewish cemetery in Lezajsk.

Tzaddik Elimelech settled down in Lezajsk in 1772. Being a charismatic leader, he gathered hundreds Chassidic Jews around him. He wrote ‘Noam Elimelech’, one of the most important Chassidic works. Student and successor of Dov Ber of Mezeritch, taught himself numerous illustrious Chassidic leaders, among them Yaakow Yitzchak Horowitz of Lublin, Menachem Mendel of Rymanow and Naftali of Ropczyce.  

18th century Jewish cemetery in Lezajsk was completely destroyed during the World War II. In 1963, thanks to the donations of American Jews the ohel of Tzaddik Elimelech was rebuilt. In 2005 the cemetery returned in the hands of Jewish community. 



» back
  Dotacje on-line



Recommended links
  "VIRTUAL CONNECTIONS" PROJECT  
  The 'Synagogue' Center in Zamosc  
  "Preserving Jewish Heritage in Poland" vol. II  
  Adopt a Jewish cemetery in Poland  
  Revitalization of the synagogue in Przysucha  
  Chassidic Route  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2018  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2017  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2016  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2015  
  ANNUAL REPORT 2014  
  'To Bring Memory Back' educational program  
  NEW Brochure about Przysucha synagogue renovation project  
  NEW Brochure about FODZ  
  'Preserving Jewish Heritage in Poland' album  
  Revitalization of the synagogue complex in Krasnik  
  Anti-Semitism in Poland  


  Cemeteries database
 
 

 
  more options »  


  Galleries
 
 

 
  more »

 


  Newsletter  
  Subscribe  
   
  copy